Does hosting leak your ip?

[Tea] pompeii
Joined 19/06/2019
Posts 9,155
06:55 AM 05/03/2021
unfortunately some hacked clients allow a player to view the hosters ip adress, but you could get a vps or virtual private server which i believe would protect this as well as the possibility of getting getting ddossed

3_k
Joined 19/06/2020
Posts 1,176
05:39 PM 05/03/2021
Coming here from a hoster, people CAN get your IP from hosting but the way of doing so will likely be patched in the new client. I've had 3 different people get my IP from hosting but 1 of them had done it to threaten me (didn't actually use it) 1 of them did it to warn me (so I could be more cautious and safe) and 1 of them did it so they could post my IP on the forums

Unless a lot of people hate you, you should be fine and you don't need to worry about it. People likely won't get your IP and if they do there's not much they can do with it. Hosting is safe and anyone who tries to abuse the way it works will be terminated.

Don't be scared you're probably fine.

3_k
Joined 19/06/2020
Posts 1,176
05:41 PM 05/03/2021
Quote from 3_k , 05:39 PM 05/03/2021
Coming here from a hoster, people CAN get your IP from hosting but the way of doing so will likely be patched in the new client. I've had 3 different people get my IP from hosting but 1 of them had done it to threaten me (didn't actually use it) 1 of them did it to warn me (so I could be more cautious and safe) and 1 of them did it so they could post my IP on the forums

Unless a lot of people hate you, you should be fine and you don't need to worry about it. People likely won't get your IP and if they do there's not much they can do with it. Hosting is safe and anyone who tries to abuse the way it works will be terminated.

And like charmer said, you could always just get a VPS or VPN to appear to have a different IP so you are fine. With basic safety measures in place you won't need to worry one bit.

[Brick] Jazc11
Joined 14/02/2021
Posts 68
06:53 PM 09/03/2021
Quote from 3_k , 05:41 PM 05/03/2021
Quote from 3_k , 05:39 PM 05/03/2021

And like charmer said, you could always just get a VPS or VPN to appear to have a different IP so you are fine. With basic safety measures in place you won't need to worry one bit.
Thanks, but where do I check if the new client patches it? I've been really paranoid lately about security and ill probably host one if it gets patched.

[bees] .kitteng10.
Joined 22/06/2020
Posts 18
02:09 PM 15/03/2021
I don't think so, but people can probably get your ip still by using some client. But don't worry about it because, for example, if you have op on a Minecraft server you can scan other's ips.

1 2