Pinned How to correctly post in the Scripting subforum

[noob] Prevent
Joined 16/04/2017
Posts 19,831
03:53 PM 18/09/2020
This subforum is a frequent target of unrelated posts and unhelpful content, so here's what will and will not be tolerated here, along with a FAQ section

Avoid unrelated threads:
This subforum is for discussing programming and Brick Hill scripting, not anything else. If you don't think your question or post relates to scripting, it probably doesn't belong here. Threads that are incorrectly posted in this subforum will either be moved or deleted. Posts regarding how to host Brick Hill servers are exempt from this rule, though should generally be kept to the Support subforum to reduce clutter.

Avoid unhelpful answers:
Please refrain from answering questions with 'I don't know', 'I also have this question' or similar - this benefits absolutely nobody and is essentially just post farming. Not knowing the answer is fine, but you don't have to reply to every question asked here and say you don't know or that you share similar queries.

State your question in your thread's title:
Do not create threads that simply state that you have a question or problem regarding scripting without actually mentioning what this question or problem is in the thread. This wastes the time of not only you, but other people on this sub forum. This obviously does not apply if you are merely discussing scripting and not asking a question.

Remember the human:
Everyone starts somewhere. Even if somebodies solution to the original poster's problem is sloppy, broken or unoptimized do not berate them - politely explain how their code or answer could be improved so everyone benefits from the situation.

Try to avoid duplicate queries:
Before asking a question in this subforum, attempt to discover if your question has been answered before. This saves people time having to repeatedly answer the same questions over and over again.

Do not post malicious code:
If you post code that is deliberately intended to negatively affect the original poster or others, you will be banned.

[noob] Prevent
Joined 16/04/2017
Posts 19,831
03:54 PM 18/09/2020
FAQ:

Q: What is Node-Hill?
A: Node-Hill is an open source server for the Brick Hill Legacy client written in Node.js, created by Dragonian. This is used to host servers for the legacy Brick Hill Client.

Q: What scripting language does Node-Hill use?
A: Node-Hill uses Node.js, a JavaScript runtime enviroment that executes code outside of a web browser.

Q: Are Java and JavaScript the same language?
A: No, and only JavaScript code will work with Brick Hill.

[noob] Prevent
Joined 16/04/2017
Posts 19,831
03:54 PM 18/09/2020
Q: How do I add a script to my Node-Hill server?
A: You can add scripts to your Node-Hill server by adding the .js (JavaScript) file to the user_scripts folder in your Node-Hill directory.

Q: How do I host a Node-Hill server?
A: Port forward to port 42480 (or the port you have listed in start.js, by default it is 42480) then follow the installation instructions:
https://brickhill.gitlab.io/open-source/node-hill/

Q: Does Node-Hill have documentation?
A: Yes. https://brickhill.gitlab.io/open-source/node-hill/globals.html

[Kup] [Deleted64562]
Joined 12/04/2019
Posts 7,769
03:01 AM 19/12/2023
[ Content Removed ]