Checkpoints

Lord Farquad
Joined 08/04/2021
Posts 6
05:06 PM 14/04/2021
So I'm trying to make a checkpoint system, and I don't exactly know where to start. I have the basis for the brick filter (naming the checkpoint, and making a callback), but I'm having a brain freeze about how to send a player back/have multiple checkpoints. Help wanted.

[MILK] vv0id1sm
Joined 07/10/2019
Posts 16,080
08:52 PM 14/04/2021
Maybe when a player touches a checkpoint it sets the player's score (which in this would be progress by checkpoints) and then whenever a player dies, depending on their score they will be sent back to a checkpoint?
maybe you could also make it so a player can't go back in checkpoints

tekai
Joined 01/04/2021
Posts 2,626
10:05 PM 14/04/2021
easy.
place a spawn point down and color it some color(red for example.)
make a team the same color(name it whatever.)
now when a player touches that spawner, they'll be set to that team and spawn there whenever they die.

[MILK] vv0id1sm
Joined 07/10/2019
Posts 16,080
06:46 AM 15/04/2021
Quote from tekai , 10:05 PM 14/04/2021
easy.
now when a player touches that spawner, they'll be set to that team and spawn there whenever they die.
that is absolutely 100% not how it works where the fuck did you get that idea

if you wanted to make it work like that, you'd need to make a script that sets a player's team when they set a script

and you'd use the name of the team, not the color unless you have the team stored as a variable when setting it

you'd also need to make sure to set a player's team or else they could end up on the wrong team and be finished right when they join

this is brick-hill, not roblox you degenerate fool

Lord Farquad
Joined 08/04/2021
Posts 6
12:23 PM 15/04/2021
So if I wanted to do this, could I maybe make it so that the checkpoint can only be touched if a players score is equal to a certain value? For example, if I player was going to get to the 4th checkpoint, in order for their score to go up, and their progress saved, their score would have to be exactly 3 (since they've touched 3 other checkpoints previous to this, which would make their score 3), or is there an easier/more efficient way to do it? Sorry if this is a dumb question I'm getting used to .js lol

Lord Farquad
Joined 08/04/2021
Posts 6
12:24 PM 15/04/2021
Quote from vv0id1sm , 06:46 AM 15/04/2021
easy.

if you wanted to make it work like that, you'd need to make a script that sets a player's team when they set a script

and you'd use the name of the team, not the color unless you have the team stored as a variable when setting it

you'd also need to make sure to set a player's team or else they could end up on the wrong team and be finished right when they join

Forgot to quote you sorry.

So if I wanted to do this, could I maybe make it so that the checkpoint can only be touched if a players score is equal to a certain value? For example, if I player was going to get to the 4th checkpoint, in order for their score to go up, and their progress saved, their score would have to be exactly 3 (since they've touched 3 other checkpoints previous to this, which would make their score 3), or is there an easier/more efficient way to do it? Sorry if this is a dumb question I'm getting used to .js lo

tekai
Joined 01/04/2021
Posts 2,626
05:28 PM 15/04/2021
easy.

Are you stupid or something? I was just providing a basic example I didn't say it was the best.
And yes, that absolutely does work. You just need to make the team inside of workshop. If you think I've got it wrong then go and test it yourself.
And yes, you would want to use a [player.setTeam] in combination with [game.assignRandomTeam = false]. But that can easily be done by just making the first team inside of node-hill(setting the color to the spawner color for the first level.). The rest can be made inside of workshop.

tekai
Joined 01/04/2021
Posts 2,626
05:31 PM 15/04/2021
Quote from tekai , 05:28 PM 15/04/2021
easy.

Are you stupid or something? I was just providing a basic example I didn't say it was the best.
And yes, that absolutely does work. You just need to make the team inside of workshop. If you think I've got it wrong then go and test it yourself.
And yes, you would want to use a [player.setTeam] in combination with [game.assignRandomTeam = false]. But that can easily be done by just making the first team inside of node-hill(setting the color to the spawner color for the first level.). The rest can be made inside of workshop.
And in this post I am implying that the fist team IS stored as a variable.

[MILK] vv0id1sm
Joined 07/10/2019
Posts 16,080
05:48 AM 16/04/2021
Quote from Lord Farquad , 12:24 PM 15/04/2021
easy.

Forgot to quote you sorry.

So if I wanted to do this, could I maybe make it so that the checkpoint can only be touched if a players score is equal to a certain value? For example, if I player was going to get to the 4th checkpoint, in order for their score to go up, and their progress saved, their score would have to be exactly 3 (since they've touched 3 other checkpoints previous to this, which would make their score 3), or is there an easier/more efficient way to do it? Sorry if this is a dumb question I'm getting used to .js lo
One way you could do it that I was thinking of is making each checkpoint have the name of the number (1st checkpoint would be named 1, 2nd would be 2, 3rd would be 3, et cetera) and you could check if the player's score is below or equal to that checkpoint's name. then if it is, your score goes up and the spawnlocation (you'd want to have the spawnlocation local to the player so that it doesnt interfere with other users' gameplay) gets teleported to that checkpoint. If this doesn't make sense, I'm tired and its 11 PM so just dm me and I can answer later

[MILK] vv0id1sm
Joined 07/10/2019
Posts 16,080
05:52 AM 16/04/2021
easy.

dude have you ever made a game?

I've been playing/making games on this site for a year and a half and I can tell you for a fact that you don't get teleported to a spawn if you have a specific team. thats just not a property of spawns unless you coded your own version of it. On top of that, unless you coded it in a player wouldn't get put on the team by touching the spawn, otherwise that could cause problems in certain games.

I know how to code with node-hill, I've made my own games

Unless brick-hill just recently added that feature, I can tell you damn well that a player's team doesn't get set just because they touch an unscripted spawn, and a person won't automatically spawn at a spawn just because its the same color

if those 2 were features, I would be seeing them used in games, yet for obvious reasons I don't.

tekai
Joined 01/04/2021
Posts 2,626
03:13 PM 16/04/2021
Quote from vv0id1sm , 05:52 AM 16/04/2021
easy.

dude have you ever made a game?

I've been playing/making games on this site for a year and a half and I can tell you for a fact that you don't get teleported to a spawn if you have a specific team. thats just not a property of spawns unless you coded your own version of it. On top of that, unless you coded it in a player wouldn't get put on the team by touching the spawn, otherwise that could cause problems in certain games.

I know how to code with node-hill, I've made my own games

Unless brick-hill just recently added that feature, I can tell you damn well that a player's team doesn't get set just because they touch an unscripted spawn, and a person won't automatically spawn at a spawn just because its the same color

if those 2 were features, I would be seeing them used in games, yet for obvious reasons I don't.
here is a demo for you. hope it clears up what I'm talking about.
this set is 100% unscripted

1 2